Thursday, February 6, 2014

Knitting

I think the title says it all. With the label function all the things that concerns knitting will be found there, that way, if you need to find something from an earlier post, it will be much easier for you to find.


I was never the big knitter, even though my mom tried to teach me a few times. Until one day, I felt like making a pair of socks! And of course, it wasn't just the regular pair of socks, no no. It had to be knee socks. So not only did my mom had to teach me all the basic stuff, she also had to teach me to knit on 4 needles, take in a stitch, make a heal and add new thread.

Well as a first time knitter working with 4 needles was just impossible so I used a circular needle, but later on there was no escape, I had to use the 4 needles. Oddly enough, I managed to get it set on two, and my poor mom just shook her head, and had a hard time helping me when I needed her to.




The end result was these colorful socks, and I am grateful that my mom took her patience with me. They are flawed, but it was a learning experience. I think the biggest flaw, is that the color doesn't match on them. That would have made them even prettier. But they are done, and I am actually quite proud of them.

Now the pattern for these socks are not difficult, you just use a regular pattern for socks, and then just add the extra length to it. The only "difficult" part is to figure out how many stitches you need to remove when you get to the lower part, and where. Because you can't just take them off all at the same place, that will give the socks a really strange shape. What I did was I knitted 5 rows and then took 4 stitches off, 2 in the beginning and 2 in the end.

Next time I will make a pair, I will share the pattern with you, but right now it's a mess and I need to re-write it. As I had to change a few things while I was knitting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment